Westover Air Reserve Base has been in operation since 1940 and served as a bomber training base and port of embarkation/debarkation during World War II.
Following the war, the base was a staging point for the Berlin Aircraft, a headquarters of the Military Air Transport Service system until April, 1955.
From that time until 1974, the base was a major Strategic Air Command installation. Since May 19, 1974, Westover has been an Air Force Reserve Command base. From then until October 1987, the 439th Tactical Airlift Wing operated the C-130 Hercules and C-123 Provider aircraft.
The wing converted to C-5As in 1987, and the unit eventually became designated as the 439th Airlift Wing
Westover is the nation's largest Air Force Reserve base, and is home to more than 5,500 military and civilian workers.