Westover Air Reserve Base has been in operation since 1940 and served as a bomber training base and port of embarkation/ debarkation during World War II.
Following the war, the base was a staging point for the Berlin Airlift, a headquarters of the Military Air Transport Service system until April 1955.
From that time until 1974, the base was a major Strategic Air Command installation. Since May 19, 1974 Westover has been an Air Force Reserve Command base. From that time until October, 1987 the 439th Tactical Airlift Wing operated C-130 Hercules and C-123 Provider aircraft.
The wing converted to C-5As in 1987 and the unit eventually became designated as the 439th Airlift Wing.
Currently, the Patriot Wing operates 16 C-5B aircraft.