|CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT MICHAEL F. THORPE|
Chief Master Sergeant Michael F. Thorpe is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 439th Airlift Wing, Westover Air Reserve Base, Mass. As command chief, he serves as the senior enlisted advisor to the wing commander on matters of morale and welfare for the 2,500 Air Force Reservists assigned to the base. He was assigned to this position in May 2011.
Chief Thorpe was born in Worcester, Mass. and graduated from Saint Peter Marian Central Catholic High School in Worcester. He entered the Air Force Reserve in March 1988.
The chief serves as a liaison between the wing commander and the enlisted force for the largest base in the Air Force Reserve. He ensures enlisted members know the commander's policies, advises the commander regarding the morale, welfare and readiness of the base population. Chief Thorpe evaluates the quality of noncommissioned officer leadership, management, and supervisory training. He also monitors compliance with Air Force standards, serves on advisory councils, and maintains a close working relationship with the local community.
Chief Thorpe advises the base First Sergeants Council, the Rising Six Council, and the Top Three Council, providing mentoring and unified direction on enlisted issues. He establishes the relationship between the senior enlisted staff, wing staff agencies, joint force tenant units, and subordinate activities; and facilitates information and policy dissemination on issues important to the commander.
He was one of the founding members of the Westover's Top Three Council, and was elected the first president to the Council in 2006. He was elected president of the Westover Chiefs' Council in 2011.
1991 Associate's degree in Criminal Justice, Quinsigamond Community College, Mass.
1992 Associate's degree in Small Arms Repair, Community College of the Air Force
1995 Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Anna Maria College, Paxton, Mass.
2002 USAFR First Sergeant Academy
2001 USAF Senior NCO Academy, correspondence
2010 Senior NCO Joint Professional Military Education, correspondence
2011 Associate's degree in Applied Science, Human Resource Management, Community College of the Air Force
2013 Master of Public Administration degree, Criminal Justice, Anna Maria College, Paxton, MA.
2013 AFRC Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course-Mentor, Robins AFB, GA.
2013 USAF Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, JBSA-Lackland
1. July 1988-September 1988, Air Force basic military training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1988-November 1988, combat arms technical school, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. November 1988-June 2001, Combat Arms Craftsman, 439th Security Forces Squadron, Westover ARB, Mass.
4. December 1990-April 1991, Activated in support of Operations DESERT SHIELD/STORM, 439th Security Forces Squadron, Westover ARB, Mass.
5. June 2001-September 2002, Combat Arms Superintendent, 439th Security Forces Squadron, Westover ARB, Mass.
6. November 2001-September 2003, Activated in support of Operation NOBLE EAGLE, 439th Security Forces
Squadron, Westover ARB, Mass.
7. September 2002-October 2003, First Sergeant, 439th Security Forces, Westover ARB, Mass.
8. November 2002-May 2003, First Sergeant, 321st Air Expeditionary Wing, Masirah Island Air Base, Oman
9. November 2003-December 2004, Combat Arms Superintendent, 439th Security Forces Squadron, Westover
10. December 2004-October 2007, Operations Superintendent, 439th Security Forces Squadron, Westover ARB,
11. September 2005, Flight Sergeant, Joint Task Force KATRINA, New Orleans, La.
12. November 2007-May 2011, Security Forces Manager, 439th Security Forces Squadron, Westover ARB, Mass.
13. May 2011-present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 439th Airlift Wing, Westover ARB, Mass.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with V for Valor, silver and two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal Silver hourglass M and two devices
Air Force Reserve Meritorious Service Award with one silver and two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Ribbon with star device
Small Arms Expert Ribbon with star device
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Air Force Association
Air Force Sergeants Association
Reserve Enlisted Association
Ancient Order of Hibernians, Division 36
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Airman Feb. 1, 1989
Airman first class Sept. 1, 1989
Senior airman May 1, 1990
Staff sergeant July 1, 1991
Technical sergeant Sept. 1, 1995
Master sergeant Sept, 1, 1997
Senior master sergeant Jan. 1, 2002
Chief master sergeant Oct. 1, 2007
(Current as of August 2013)